CCLI license holders may freely use and reproduce these lyrics, provided that CCLI copyright protocol is followed. (See Copyright Info)
Suggested Tune SAFFRON WALDEN (8 8 8.6.)
1. The Word came down unto His own;
He was the Truth for all who heard,
but some grew angry at His words -
their fingers itched for stones.
2. They brought Him words that hid a noose,
and hoped to bring about His fall.
Yet ever life and hope for all
were in the words Christ used.
3. They lined their trap with sticky bait,
with words of fiscal politics;
Our Lord was wise to all their tricks
and would not share their hate.
4. Our Saviour stands for greater things;
The coins of Caesars have no worth,
Nor all the riches of this Earth;
Christ is our everything.
5. Great is the Lord and to be praised;
for we have seen the glorious trace
of His great treasure's secret place
revealed through words of grace!
6. In faith we take the Word God gave
and share the gospel ev'ry hour,
and say not just with words but pow'r:
"We know our Lord does save!"
Based on Revised Common Lectionary (A) for 29th Sunday in ordinary time:
Isaiah 45:1-7; Psalm 96:1-9
; 1 Thessalonians 1:1-10
; Matthew 22:15-22